Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Dummy Farmer Isn't Such a Dummy After All...




Did you know that there are 4 kinds of farming? Did you know that most farmers have more than one job and usually the other job pays more than his or her farming job?

I am the dummy farmer for there are so many things to learn and I know virtually nothing. I hope to educate myself not only in my backyard but in cyberspace as well. My family and I moved to Maine permanently seven years ago. It has not been easy, the economy, lack of jobs, not being from the area have all made it very difficult at times, but we have a strong desire to stay and build something together as a family, a legacy. With the rising cost of food, gas and taxes, and no end to people being laid off, it has become a necessity to have a garden, if not a small farm where you can raise your own meat too. And with that in mind, I have been increasing the size of my garden every year for the last 6 years. This year it was the best in design and functionality but it lacked in watering / drought preparation. I hope to only get better next year. I have made many mistakes and will share them with you. I have added chickens to my garden and it has been truly a wonderful and satisfying experience. They are not only giving something back, they are great pets too!

I have learned that you need many recipes for the items you are growing in the garden otherwise you become bored, so I hope to share with you some recipes many of them my own. I love to cook! I have had the good fortune of dining with Julia Child at her home 103 Irving Street, Cambridge, Ma in '92 or '93, I have sat down with MaryAnn Esposito of Ciao Italia at the Ritz Carlton, Boston, and I have had appetizers with Todd English, Olives, Boston. I love to eat! I love to cook!

Money is tight for everyone. And it is extremely tight for me. I hope this blog will help me, guide me and somehow advise me.

this blog is another one of my other jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment